Friday 26 February 2010

Autistic Spectrum Disorders & Diet.

Yesterday I received a delivery of 48 litres of organic rice milk at a special offer price, below the rate of interest on borrowed money, and equivalent to the price of organic UHT cows milk. The delivery driver looked amazed & my ex husband, who was visiting, asked how I was going to pay for it. My answer was that it was well worth doing.

WHY?

Because at the age of 20 my Aspie son has taken the decision for himself (which interfering do gooders pre enter me from taking for him 10 years ago) that he would be better off without cows milk!

He recently had a streaming cold & stopped cows milk for a few days because of it's mucous forming tendancies. Lo and behold he found that despite the cold he could think more clearly and was quicker when it came to editing the wonderful music which he writes. So he asked me to order rice milk which he says 'tastes ok when you get used to it'.

11 years ago he had pleurisy, the infection, or more probably the heavy medication he needed, triggered the start of CFS/ME which still blights his life. He struggled for months with lung congestion which wouldn't clear, until the enlightened ENT doctor Glenis Scadding from the Royal Nose Throat & Ear Hospital sent us to see her mentor Professor Jonathan Brostoff - then at the Middlesex.

Dr Brostoff looked for dietary and environmental causes for my sons difficulties. He sent us away to try two weeks gluten free! I was horrified! It seemed like a lot of extra work and extra expense. The comodities of time & money were both in short supply. The busy body educationalists & social workers who had got involved because of the amount of school my son had missed through illness used this as further evidence of my neglect - I was neglecting to give him bread for sandwhiches and instead substituting tuna & rice salad. I was neglecting to give him biscuits and substituting home made gluten free chocolate cake. They just didn't get it. They thought I had a vested interest in making him 'different'.

My son got it and it was wonderful! He was calmer. He could sleep better. His chest cleared and most unexpectedly but best of all his lifelong night time enuresis dissapeared! We reported back to Dr Brostoff and he wrote a letter for the busy bodies benefit saying that in his experience enuresis which was not proving easy to resolve was frequently the result of previously undiscovered food allergy or intollerence! They ignored his letter preferring their theory that the enuresis was something to do with problems in his emotional attachment to me. We proved Dr Brostoffs theory on holiday in France where the temptation of baguettes, croissant & crepes led us to the launderette with soiled bedding. The busy bodies never beleived us!

For ten years now my son has been gluten free, it has got MUCH easier

No comments:

Post a Comment